Wednesday 9 October 2013

Pixel In-Profile: Editor, Lee Johnson

Over the next few weeks we will be starting up our In-Profile section on the website and the editorial team thought it would be a good idea to introduce ourselves and our photography (because we do as well as talk!) as way for our readers to get to know us.  First up is editor, Lee Johnson.

My brother and I with our cameras.  Photo by my Grandad, 
Jack Stephenson.
I began taking photographs when I was about seven years old.  During our summer holidays my brother and I would go on coach trips with my grandparents. 

There would be many a very early morning when we would be standing at the pick up point waiting for the coach to arrive while the excitement of our journey built through the sleep and yawns.

I can always remember two things accompanying us on our trips.  One was a green sports bag that my Gran carried.  This bag was capable and did carry everything (including the kitchen sink).  The other was my Grandad’s Russian range finder camera.  Fascinated with it, I was always trying to get hold of it and have a go.  I didn’t get anywhere near it until I was about 25!

That Christmas a present under the tree included a little box.  Ripping the paper off, I found to my delight a box containing a 110 camera, a film cartridge and a flash cube.  I was off!

I went through several cameras (including disc a disc camera) until I was about 11 years old.  I was asked what I wanted for Christmas and the response was a proper camera.

One of the handwritten sheets written for me
by my Grandad.
That year, my present was a second hand Zenith 11.  It didn’t matter it was second hand, it was perfect.  My Grandad included a Christmas card containing a couple of handwritten sheets of paper with notes on aperture, shutter speeds and film.  I loved that camera!

By the time I was 18, I had amassed a bit of kit by saving up and buying second hand gear.  I have to admit most of it wasn’t very good quality but the point was I was taking pictures.  So eventually, I had acquired a 300mm lens, 2x teleconvertor, a tripod, a flash gun and a 20mm lens all of which I still have.

Finally, my Russian brick gave up and I went on the look for another.  By this time they had become quite hard to find and I came across a Pracktica MTL3 that also had the M42 lens mount.  This camera was luxury!  It had a light meter built in to the viewfinder.  I was up and running again.

Jack, shot on my trusty
Russian brick.
About the same time I bought an APS compact which I have to admit was fantastic for when I was up on the hills.

It was about 2001 when I had my first flirtation with digital.  I bought a Sony Mavica.  This was a compact camera that took 3.5” diskettes.  You could ten images to a disk.  So while it was as convenient as modern digital it was as restrictive as film as you still had bulky disks to carry round with you.  At least 35mm film fit in your pocket!

I very quickly returned to film.  This time however, I began playing with Photoshop and this opened a whole new world!  I was taking photographs on film and then once developed I was scanning them in to Photoshop and playing.  It wasn’t long before I was colour popping, creating montages and all sorts.

I went fully digital a few years later with several compacts and a Fujifilm prosumer.  About four years ago I bought my first DSLR and have enjoyed every minute of it!

Me!
That being said, I do still enjoy shooting on film.  My kit bag now consists of: Pentax K-x (DSLR), Pentax K1000 (35mm film), Olympus Trip 35 (film), Fujifilm compact digital, 18-55mm digital lens, 55-300mm digital lens, 20mm prime lens, 50mm, prime lens, 135mm prime lens.


I think I would describe my photography as eclectic.  I take a wide range of subjects my favourites being street photography, documentary, wildlife and landscape.  I do tend to set myself a project on a yearly basis as I find that this helps me focus my attention on producing something that has more impact than a single image.


We are constantly looking to highlight the work of Pennine Lancashire Photographers.  If you would like your work featured on our website and in our magazine why not drop us an email and someone will get back to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment