Tuesday 3 February 2015

Same thing but different

Grouse Butt - Bob Singleton
A couple of weeks ago Bob and I went out taking photographs at the same time.  We were not out together but we were in the same geographical area with a similar sort of subject in mind, snow.
Bob chose to go to the summit of Pendle and take some shots there.  I was at Newchurch which is not more than a couple of miles away from Bob.  Bear in mind that we did not know both of us were out an in the same area.

I don’t think we actually class ourselves as any particular type of photographer, we just enjoy photography but that being said we both favour a documentary approach.

It is interesting to look at both our photographs from that session.  They are both documentary photographs.  There has not been any Photoshopping.  Mine had its final levels and sharpening done in Photoshop but that’s it.  I suspect that Bob’s is straight out of Lightroom.

Winter Whites - Lee Johnson
The interesting point is our approaches to a similar subject at the same time.  Bob has exposed his photograph to show the conditions as they were.  It was a bit grey, flat and not particularly nice.

I was looking for something that would make a nice monochrome image.  I wanted some strong blacks, shades of grey and then some almost paper white.  I knew that my cameras meter would underexpose the image so I dialled in about 2 stops of exposure compensation.  The result is what I wanted to achieve.


Both photographs have a lot in common.  They are in the same geographical location; have a similar subject matter (stone, landscapes and weather conditions.  They both look very cold!); and are documentary in nature.  I like Bob’s image as much as I like mine but the interesting thing is that we have the same approach and still come out with something quite different.

No comments:

Post a Comment